Here at St. Andrews, we gather to worship together, and to support one another in life and in faith. All who seek to find and see more of Christ in their lives are welcome to be a part of this community. We are a traditional congregation that is seeking to move where God is leading us to reach out, to offer more hope and more light to this community.
Our Mission Statement
St. Andrews Presbyterian Church is a gathering of God's people following the call of Jesus Christ, and moved by the Holy Spirit to praise God and grow in faith, welcoming and serving the greater community in God's love for the salvation of all people.
Jesus said: “Ask and it will be given you, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened to you.” (Matthew 7:7). And so, we encourage all to ask, to seek, to explore scripture and theology. The Presbyterian Church (USA) is a confessional church, thus we explore our beliefs, in our own lives and in our life together. Presbyterian Churches use the Bible and several historical confessions to guide us in seeking God, who is above all things and in all things.
Our church traces its origins to 1883 when Christ Presbyterian Church saw the need for a church in the southeastern part of the City of Lebanon. The church was organized in a stone farmhouse at the corner of Fourth and Willow Streets. A permanent church was built on this site and The Presbytery of Westminster recognized the new church, which became known as Fourth Street Presbyterian Church on February 8, 1887.
Through the first half of the twentieth century, the congregation continued to grow and the Fourth Street church building became increasingly crowded. In 1948 a planning committee was appointed to evaluate the possibilities of an expansion. In 1953 the congregation approved the purchase of property at the corner of South Twelfth and Poplar Streets. A building committee was appointed and in 1956 plans were approved for the church building. Rev. Ralph Snyder was minister when the cornerstone was laid in 1958. In April 1959, the new building was dedicated and the name of the church changed to St. Andrews Presbyterian Church.
In 1988, under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Richard Cassel, an Associate Pastor was added to the staff to reach out to and attract young people and families. A building renovation and addition were planned to make the building handicap accessible, provide additional Christian Education space, add a large practice room for musical groups, expand the gathering/fellowship area and add chapel, library, and offices. Ground was broken in spring of 2000 and on St. Andrews Day, 2000, we celebrated the completion of the project.
The church reaches out to the community in multiple ways. Preschools were provided from 1981 until 2006 by “Boost School,” and from 2007 through 2010 by “Mustard Seeds.” St. Andrews was the original site for the Jack and Jill Kindergarten program. The church has been hosting a free noon meal once each month for over twenty years, and in 2015 began providing emergency overnight shelter for two weeks twice a year. Mission giving through our denomination offerings, One Great Hour of Sharing, Pentecost, Peace Making and Christmas Joy, continue.
In 2007 the sanctuary was renovated with redesign of the chancel area, new carpet, additional lighting, and a complete new sound and video system.
Our present pastor Rev. Robin Morgan began her ministry in January 2015. Under her leadership the church offers traditional and praise worship each Sunday. Under the leadership of Youth Director, Rob Cochran, the youth, known as EPYC, participate in an annual trip to Creation, a summer day camp from Camp Krislund, and other local activities.
Congregational goals as announced by church leaders continue to be: Meaningful Worship, Expanded Children and Youth Programs, Church-Wide Spiritual Connections and Support and Care for All the Church Family.
The Session consists of the Pastor as Moderator and twelve Elders elected by the congregation to three-year terms. The Session meets monthly and is responsible for the mission and government of the church. The Session has many responsibilities as outlined in the book of order of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
The Board of Trustees consists of twelve members elected by the congregation to three-year terms. The Board of Trustees is the legal representative of the Corporation as chartered by the State of Pennsylvania. They are to ensure the buildings and grounds are maintained and updated to provide a place that enables the congregation to carry out its mission. The President of the Board is elected by the congregation.
The Board of Deacons consists of fifteen members elected by the congregation to three-year terms. They elect one of their members to be the Moderator and any other positions needed. They meet monthly to minister to the congregation through compassion, witness, and service sharing the redeeming love of Jesus Christ with those in need.